Part 12, Title2 – §1220 – Planning Commission, of Lawrence Park’s Codified Ordinances is hereby repealed in its entirety and replaced with the following effective December 31, 2022.
CHAPTER 1220 – PLANNING COMMITTEE
A Planning Committee consisting of five (5) members is hereby created and established for the Township of Lawrence Park, Erie County, Pennsylvania, pursuant to the provisions of Article II, Section 201, of the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, as established by the Act of July 31, 1968, P.L. 805, No. 247, as amended and reenacted. The Township Engineer shall serve the Planning Committee as an engineering advisor, and the Township Solicitor shall serve the Committee as a legal advisor.
1220.02 Composition; Terms of Office
The Planning Committee shall be comprised of all members of the Board of Commissioners. Membership on the Planning Committee shall automatically commence when an individual becomes a Township Commissioner and shall automatically terminate when an individual cease to be a Township Commissioner.
The Planning Committee shall elect its own chairman and vice-chairman at its first meeting of each year and shall create and fill such other offices as it may determine. Officers shall serve annual terms and may succeed themselves.
1220.03 Powers and Duties
A. The Planning Committee shall:
(1) Prepare the Comprehensive Plan for the development of the Township as set forth in the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (Act 247 of 1968 as amended) and present it to the Board of Commissioners for its consideration.
(2) Maintain and keep on file records of its actions, which shall be in the possession of the Lawrence Park Township Secretary or designated representative employee.
B. The Planning Committee may:
(1) Make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners concerning the adoption or amendment of an official map.
(2) Prepare and present to the Board of Commissioners a zoning ordinance and make recommendations to the Board of Commissioners on proposed amendments to it.
(3) Prepare, recommend, and administer subdivision and land development and planned residential development regulations.
(4) Prepare and present to the governing body of the municipality a building code and a housing code and make recommendations concerning proposed amendments thereto.
(5) Do such other acts or make such studies as may be necessary to fulfill the duties and obligations imposed by the Lawrence Park Township Code and the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code.
(6) Prepare and present to the Board of Commissioners an environmental study.
(7) Submit to the Board of Commissioners a recommended capital improvements program.
(7.1) Prepare and present to the Board of Commissioners a water survey, which shall be consistent with the State Water Plan and any applicable water resources plan adopted by a river basin commission. The water survey shall be conducted in consultation with any public water supplier in the area to be surveyed.
(8) Promote public interest in, and understanding of, the comprehensive plan and planning.
(9) Make recommendations to governmental, civic and private agencies and individuals as to the effectiveness of the proposals of such agencies and individuals.
(10) Hold public hearings and meetings.
(10.1) Present testimony before any board.
(11) Require from other departments and agencies of the municipality such available information as relates to the work of the Planning Committee.
(12) In the performance of its functions, enter upon any land to make examinations and surveys with the consent of the owner.
(13) Prepare and present to the Board of Commissioners a study regarding the feasibility and practicability of using renewable energy sources in specific areas within the municipality.
(14) Review the zoning ordinance, subdivision and land development ordinance, official map, provisions for planned residential development, and such other ordinances and regulations governing the development of land no less frequently than the Committee reviews the comprehensive plan.
C. In the performance of its powers and duties, any action or recommendation of the Planning Committee which involves engineering consideration, shall be subject to review and comments of the Township Engineer, which shall be incorporated and separately set forth in any report, correspondence or recommendation of the Planning Committee.
1220.04 Reimbursement of Expenses
The members of the Planning Committee may be reimbursed for necessary and reasonable expenses.